Ethan's Age

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 4

This Friday will be Ethan's 4th week out of the Uterus Apartment he was couch surfing in.

I'm very much in love with this little bugger, and we are starting to come up with a routine that works for all of us.

The first couple of weeks were really tough, as he was crying most of the day and night, and Jon and I were at our wits end several times.  I felt completely helpless and like a horrible mother that I couldn't figure out what was causing my little guy to be so upset.  I'd breastfeed him, rock him, shush him, burp him, change him... nothing would work.

We finally figured out that he was hungry and not getting enough from me.  We've since supplemented with formula and gone strictly to bottle feeding (2/3 of his diet is still from me, 1/3 is formula).  Since then, he's settled a whole lot and seemed full when he was done eating and has been way less fussy. He's finally back to birth weight as of his 2 week check up, which also confirmed that he's finally getting enough to eat.

I'm slowly getting over my anxiety about taking him out on my own.  The other day I went to the Dr with him, and he started to cry and cry and cry in the waiting room.  I felt so self conscious, and I couldn't get him to stop.  Finally I just whipped out the food source and decided to nurse him right there, and he was much better.  I need to get better about realizing that babies cry, and screw other people if they are judging me for it.  However, now that we have a formula back up, I can feed him easier when we are out if it's an emergency.

We also invested in a plug in swing, which he now sleeps in, and he's graduated to sleeping in his own room.  The space has been key for Jon and myself, and allowed us to have some baby-free time for our own sanity.  We are also still continuing the shift system for getting up in the middle of the night which has allowed each of us to get a couple chunks of sleep.

The little man is getting so big, it's hard to believe that he's only a month old as it feels like he's been here forever.  (And looks very dapper in his tux.)



We had our first successful bath a couple of days ago.  Before he would scream (but we were only washcloth bathing, so I think he was just really cold) but this time he was in our little bath container.  I placed a warm wet washcloth on his body and immediately he was content.  He actually fell asleep!



I guess we'll keep him.

No comments:

Post a Comment