Ethan's Age

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Surgery

Well, yesterday was my surgery.  To recap, I was having a laproscopic procedure to determine why one of my fallopian tubes was blocked, and have it repaired.

I was stressed all of Thursday night with anticipation.   I was worried that I'd wake up in the middle of it or wake up at the end feeling immense pain.  I was able to load up on Benedryl and knocked out for sleep around 10 am.

I woke up about 4:30 and waited for Jon to get out of the shower and then hopped in myself.  We were ready to go by about 5:15 and arrived at the hospital around 5:45 or so.  We got all checked in, I got my bracelet and by GPS tracking device.  This device was so they could track my progress through the pre-op, op, post op and recovery rooms.  (Also so they had another tool to not mix me up with other people.)  Jon was still with me in the pre-op room, but then he had to go to drop off the dog.

I got dressed in this huge purple gown and non-slip socks.  They started an IV and got some fluids in me.  I met each nurse that was going to be there, and my anesthesiologist.  Dr Awesome came in to check in with me (and did the obligatory "who are you, what are you getting done?"  I joked with her that she was supposed to remove my right leg.  She laughed, thankfully.  I told her that I was super anxious, and she asked if I thought I made the right decision, to which I said that I did.  She said that people who feel confident do much better, but she would be there the whole time.

Jon made it back before I went into surgery, and I felt so much better knowing he was there.  My anesthesiologist came back in ask asked if there were any more questions, because I'd not remember anything in the next couple of minutes.  He put some sort of drug in my IV then left.  I was wheeled into the O.R, and the last thing I remember was saying hello to everyone, and then Dr Awesome holding my hand, which was very comforting.

After the operation, they wheeled be over to the Post-Op room which I don't remember too much.  I got some ice chips, and water and pain medication, but that's really all I remember.

I then woke up in the recovery room.  I was in pain, and got a couple of rounds of IV medication, then switched over to pills.  After an hour or so I got up to go to the bathroom and settled back into bed.  Then Jon was able to come back,  and Jon mentioned that he had talked with Dr Awesome and that everything went well.

They found endometriosis around my ovary and tube, which she burned away.  They also drilled my ovary to release the build up from excess androgen.   She told Jon that there was no reason now that I couldn't get pregnant now.  They only had to use two incisions, one in my belly button and one in my lower abdomen. 

I got home around 3 or so Friday afternoon, about 7 hours after the operation.  Getting in and out of the car hurt.  It surprised me the most that my throat really hurt to eat.  I had a breathing tube during surgery and it caused my throat to swell.  I napped a bit on friday afternoon and took more pain medication and went to bed. 

This morning I hurt a lot more than yesterday, because all the IV pain medications had worn off.  Getting up out of bed or chairs is very painful, and I can't get anything off the floor if I drop something.  Jon has been wonderful, guarding me from the dog and getting lunches for me.  Today he made a special trip for a hot pad, which is helping a whole lot with the aching.

I'm thankful that I have two weeks to recover.  I'm moving very slowly, and don't want to rush it.  It's all over now, which I'm very thankful for.  This is a much more permanent solution than Clomid, and hopefully I won't actually need to take that any more anyway!

On a fun note, my wish of having a few "inside" pictures came true!    I have 4 or 5 photos of what they did, which is pretty neat... when do you get to see your innards?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that it went well! And I hope you enjoy your two week vacation; at this point I'm beginning to think that surgery would be worth it to get a little time off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that the surgery went well! Sorry that you are sore though and I hope you have a nice and speedy recovery. Hopefully you'll get to have more months of the hubby picking up stuff because your pregnant belly makes it difficult to bend over ; )

    ReplyDelete