Ethan's Age

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Non-Medicated Cycle

Well, this is my first non-medicated cycle without Clomid.

My husband will attest to this, I've never felt more centered in that almost 2 years I've been on the stuff.


I was worried, however, that I would not be able to ovulate on my own, and I certainly didn't expect it this cycle.  However, this morning a positive OPK stared at me, right in the face.

I have to admit, I giggled a little bit. I couldn't believe that maybe, just maybe, my body is returning to normal, able to do what it was made to do. 



The thankfulness I have for Dr Awesome to recommend having surgery this cycle has no boundries (much like the awful song* written for the finale of American Idol by Kara DioGuardi)
*Note, I may have listened to this song again, and not felt like throwing up this time.  It's not TOO bad. (At least by Adam Lambert, not Kris Allen's version *ick*)

I've been doing some research that I'm not even sure where I'm at about yet, natural childbirth.  If I had my way, I'd never ever ever have an epidural.  After a botched spinal tap in 2008, I swore that to myself.  So, at that point, do I even care about any medications?  I'm not sure.  I've been interviewing doulas, as research is very clear that their involvement in birth reduces many risk factors (see this article, which is representative of about 50 I've looked at thus far, leading me to trust the general statistics.)

Hiring a doula does not, of course, preclude the idea of birthing in a hospital.  Nor do I preclude that idea either.  I'm going to do a lot of research in the next few months.  I know that 2011 is my year to have a child and dang it if I'm not going to be as ready as I possibly can be for it.

So, tell me about your stories, did you hire a doula, how did you do your birth (or how do you hope to?)  Why did you/will you make those choices?

Much love to all of you!

8 comments:

  1. Im so glad that your body is making an attempt to be normal.

    My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn-
    Me too! Yay for feeling normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a home birth with a midwife. Water birth, no doula, no pain medicine. N liked it the last time, so we tried it again. Everything went just fine!

    The cost somewhere between $2,000 to $5,000. Ellie is THE BEST MIDWIFE EVER, I'll give you her contact info if you want. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning a midwife-assisted waterbirth at Andaluz Waterbirth Center in Tualatin.
    I made it to about 26wks pregnant being perfectly content with my plans of having an OB-assisted hospital birth, and then I picked up a copy of "Natural Childbirth the Bradly Way" which happened to COMPLETELY change my (and hubby's!) outlook on the whole birth process, so we decided that we'd do Bradley Method.. but stay in the hospital. After a few weeks of mild shocks of anxiety every time I thought of trying to have a natural childbirth in a hospital, hubby suggested that I look into birth centers, instead. I am so glad that he did, because now, with 10 weeks (give or take)to go in this pregnancy, I'm no longer scared of labor. I know I can do this, because it's something that millions of years of evolution has designed my body to do. And that is so empowering and awesome, to me.
    Oh, and the fact that it'll cost us around $1600 out-of-pocket is a pretty awesome bonus, considering that one of hubby's female coworkers was telling him about how her recent hospital birth cost her around $9k out-of-pocket

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already know I'm also going with Andaluz in Portland and I couldn't be happier with them so far. I'll give you the full scoop when all is said and done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I'm not sure if I want to do the whole water birth thing... but I am looking into it, inspired by the before-mentioned Bethany.

    Bethany- meet Vee, also giving birth at andaluz!

    I have a couple of books on hold, Vee, that I'm going to look through, including the "Thinking Woman's guide to a better birth" a book I've seen reviewed a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was on the fence about a water birth, basically I wasn't in love with it but I wasn't totally against the idea of it either. It was Andaluz' video that they show at the beginning of a tour that really sold me on it (that, and the fact that at the end of the video hubby turned to me and said "Let's do that!" which totally floored me because before we started doing research he was FIRMLY in the "you need to have the baby at the hospital because that's where babies are born" camp.). Also, I've heard so many good things about how effective of a pain-relief option the water is that I'm totally interested in trying it. And since I'll be at Andaluz, if the water ends up being not my cup of tea they'll happily work with me and help me get set up on the bed, instead.

    I've heard a lot of good things about Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth but I've yet to read it, because... well I'm not sure why I haven't read it yet. Probably because I've got so many other things to read/do lately. xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vee-
    My husband is SUPER grossed out at the water birth idea. Sigh. Boys... I'm not sure if being in the water, with... uh... grossness... is my cup of tea either.

    I will put a review up on the TWGTABB when I get it from the library!

    ReplyDelete