Ethan's Age

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Oh Body, You Certainly Cannot Make Up Your Mind

Well, I thought I was past my O date, but my temp this morning was a bit confusing.
Let's talk a bit about temperatures and what they mean.

Every morning, before you get out of bed, you throw a thermometer in your mouth to check your temp. If you get up beforehand, it is invalid, as activity adjusts your resting temp. You will need a Basal Thermometer, which you can find at your local drug store. You cannot use a normal mercury one, you must have a basal. This is because the Basal can temp much closer to actual temp, and to the tenth of a degree.

So, when you have your period, your temp remains pretty consistant. For me, it's around 97.7ish. Right before your ovulation date, many people's temperatures take a bit of a dip. In my case, around 2 tenths of a degree. Some people don't have the temp dip before the Ovulation Date (O-Day.) When you ovulate, you will see a significant temperature jump. For me, last month, my temp jump was almost a full degree (8 tenths). Once you notice a temperature jump around the expected O-Day, you have already Ovulated. This means, that no matter what you do, you cannot change whether you will get pregnant this month. You will know that your high temp has signified O-Day if your temp stays around the same high for at least 3 days. (I stayed up there for about 2 weeks.) It will go back down again right before or on the first day of your period.

I've been told that when you are successful, and pregnant, you will see another level of high temps above the O-Day high temps around week 2. This has been tied to implantation of the egg into the wall of the womb. I'd suggest charting your temps for several months before TTC. This is a great way to see what is normal for you.

This month, what I thought was a spike, then dipped down again, and it isn't high. So, I may not have O-ed yet.

I hope that was informative! Feel free to post comments or questions!

2 comments:

  1. Our bodies are so complicated I dont understand when my mind tells my body one thing but it just runs its own thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just clarifying: can or cannot?

    "This means, that no matter what you do, you can change whether you will get pregnant this month."

    ReplyDelete